Collar Badges - Officer Training Corps 

[Metal Main] [Collars Main]
 [Collars Misc]

The Officer Training Corps (OTC) was established in 1929.   The OTC's were disbanded in 1935.  All the OTC collar badges  were brass.  In addition to the collar badges a number of titles also existed and these were worn on the epaulettes .  There is a grey area between the Pre 1922 OTC titles and the 1929 version.

There is some question about the badges for St. Patrick's Teacher Training College and the Veterinary College.  It has been suggested that the badges were not worn in brass and only the chrome version for the volunteers exist.

 

St. Patricks Teacher Training College Trinity College Dublin University College Cork College of Surgeons
 
University College Dublin College of Surgeons University College Galway  

 

The title shown here for Dublin OTC is the one worn during the British period.  The one worn in 1929 was a the same but smaller.  It cannot be discounted that the badge shown was not used post 1929. 

Trinity College Dublin University College Cork University College Galaway

 

Volunteer Force 

The Volunteer Force was formed in 1934 and as can be seen from the badges it replaced the Officer Training Corps (OTC) in colleges.  When the 1934 organisation took place "The Regiment Of Pearse" was one of the new units and it comprised the college units.  The Regt of Pearse wore maroon facings on their uniform and orange backings to the collar badges.  A chrome belt buckle was also worn (see belt buckle section).

 

Cap Badge College of Surgeons Vetinary College of Ireland Trinity College Dublin

University College Dublin St.Patricks Teacher Training College University College Cork University College Galway

 

 

 

 

 
[Metal Main] [Collars Main]
 [Collars Misc]

 

 

This page is in no way sponsored or endorsed by The Irish Defence Forces - Óglaigh na hÉireann. Opinions and views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Service.

 Page Updated : Thursday, 27 March 2014